Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mild Chicken Curry

My friend Judy in Arizona is a great cook.  While I was out visiting her last month, she made some seriously killer Chicken Curry.  Although my husband is not a fan of curry, I thought he might like this recipe, so I made it last night.  I had never made curry before but this recipe was so easy and so good.  It turned out really well and Sam liked it, so I thought I would share it with you.
Here's what you need:
2 C. Cooked Chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Cans of Coconut Milk (you can use  Reg. or Light, or one of each)
3oz. Curry Paste (I used "mild"
Mushrooms
Onion (diced)
Potato (I used Sweet)
Rice
Naan

Peel, dice and parboil your sweet potato. (This took about 8 minutes since it was diced.) Drain. (I just put mine in a collander and let it sit.)  Chop onion and slice mushrooms.  Sautee in a little bit of butter:
                                                
Remove onion and mushroom from skillet. (I just dumped mine right on top of the sweet potatoes that were draining in the collander.) 
Put curry paste in skillet and sloooooowly mix in a little coconut milk while stirring.  Continue to mix in coconut milk while on medium heat until both cans of milk are blended in with the paste uniformly.  Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and potato and heat through.

While you are heating your curry, cook rice in whatever method you like.  I just used the "boil in the bag" kind here.  Also, if you are using Naan, you might want to heat it now.  If you are not using Naan.....well, you're missing out on something wonderful.
Naan is a little bit like flatbread only lighter and yummier. (Or is it "more yummy"?  I don't know, but when my mother-in-law reads this in the morning, she'll let me know! Thanks, V!)  I use to have a hard time finding Naan, but now I can get it at Wal-Mart's Bakery section and once in a while at my local store.  You just sprinkle it with a little water and heat it at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes.  Just tear it into pieces and serve it right next to the curry on your plate.  It's so good dipped in that curry sauce!  Give it a try!
When everything is hot and ready, put your rice in one bowl and your curry in another and let everyone serve themselves.
This is delicious, even if you are not a big curry fan.  And just so you know, it reheats beautifully in the microwave.  Thank you Judy for teaching me how to make this wonderful dish!

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment