Saturday, March 31, 2012

Burlap Bird Silhouette Frame

I found yet another piece of burlap.  It wasn't very big, but it wasn't small enough to throw away.  I decided to try my hand at making a little bird silhouette picture:


I was inspired by this little sheet music wrapped tin that my good friend Judy sent me:

Isn't it sweet?  It once held "Godiva Pearls" and while I was visiting her, I was finished with the pearls and the tin was headed for the trash.  Judy rescued it and then it arrived in the mail looking so cute all covered with sheet music and a bird on a branch, with a note attached that said "You finish it off."  I added some ribbon, a few sparkles and a button on the top.  A long distance joint project....what fun!
Anyway.........

Want to make that bird frame for yourself?  Here's what you'll need:

Frame
Piece of Burlap
Bird shape or outline
Scissors and/or Rotary Cutter & Mat
Sheet Music Scrap
Ribbon
Tacky Glue

I would love to have a silhouette machine, but I don't......yet.  So I traced my bird out onto some black decal paper (if you don't have decal paper, you can just use any paper and glue it on):


Then I cut my burlap for the background:

Next I tore the edges off of a scrap piece of sheet music and used some Tacky Glue (love that stuff!) to adhere it to a couple of pieces of black ribbon.  (I used 2 pieces because I didn't have a wide enough piece.)  I really like the look of the torn edges.


At this point it's just a matter of assembling the 3 parts now.  I put the music strip on the burlap using Tacky glue and peeled the backing off of the bird and stuck it on over the top of the music strip.  I put it all in the frame and this project is finished:


I put it up on a shelf in my living room next to that little sheet music covered tin that my friend Judy made for me,  and a burlap covered tin that I made and told you about here.  It all makes a lovely vignette and I'm enjoying looking at it!
Visit thecsiproject.com



This project was featured at:

 Thanks for the inspiration Judy! (I miss you every day!)
Linking up:

The Blackberry Vine: Tuesday To Do
The Delectable Home: Show and Tell
Don't Mess With My Tutu: Sassy Sunday Blog Hop
Be Different Act Normal: Show and Tell Saturday
Gingerbread: Sweet Saturday
Pinkapotamus Pink Hippo Party
52 Mantels: Thursdays Are YOUR Days
live.laugh.rowe. - live laugh linky thursday
Beyond the Picket Fence: Under $100 Linky Party
Night Owl Crafting: Hoo's Got Talent?
Thrifty Decorating: Thrifty Thursdays
Fireflies and Jellybeans: Show Off Your Stuff Party
These Peas Taste Funny - Link It Up Thursday
Two Yellow Birds Decor - Thursdays Temptations
School House Scraps - Weekend Wind Up
It's a Hodgepodge Life: It's a Hodgepodge Friday
Happy Hour Projects - Freestyle Friday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo: Anything Goes Linky
The Grant Life - Financial Friday
While He Was Napping: Weekend Wander
How to Nest for Less: Just a Party with My Peeps
Uncommon Design Online - Uncommonly Yours
Grateful Belly: What's New Wednesday
Handy Man, Crafty Woman: Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style: Wow Us Wednesday
My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday
White Lights on Wednesday: Wednesday Whatsits
A Creative Princess: It's a Party
I Gotta Create: Spring Fling
Chic On A Shoestring: Flaunt It Friday
Creation Corner: Friday Link Party
Five Days.....5 Ways - Feature Friday Free-For-All
Tatertots & Jello: Weekend Wrap Up
Kims Kandy Kreations: Shindig Saturday
Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff
Wayward Girls' Crafts: Wayward Weekend
Nifty Thrifty Things - nifty thrifty Sunday
Scout's Stitches: Scout's Sweet Features & Sunday Linky
The Tablescaper: Seasonal Sundays
A Rosie Sweet Home: Sunday Round Up
Boogieboard Cottage: Masterpiece Monday
Twigg Studios: Sunday Show-Off
Shaken Together: What's Shakin'
Randee's Organized Chaos: Sleepy Sunday Linky
My 1929 Charmer: Sunday's Best Par.tay!
Under the Table and Dreaming: Sunday Showcase Party
Alderberry Hill: Make the Scene Monday
Homeaker on a Dime: Creative Bloggers Party & Hop
Serendipity & Spice: Manic Monday
Newlyweds on a Budget: Tutorial Tuesday
The Answer is Chocolate: BFF Open House Link Party
Heatherly Loves: Sunday Round Up

































Tuesday To Do Party


31 comments:

  1. You're so talented Danni. I love burlap and this looks like a vintage piece that you'd pay good money for in a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanisha, you always say the nicest stuff! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I love the combination of the burlap, the black and the music. Gorgeous!
    love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jutta! I'm pretty sure my sister has her eye on this piece for the same reasons!

      Delete
  3. Adorable! A great way to use left over fabric.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I have a little left for one or two more small projects.

      Delete
  4. Clever girl! It looks great. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I don't know about the clever part!

      Delete
  5. This is very cool! Thank you so much for following me and your nice comment, I'm now following both your blogs. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute. You did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so adorable, cute idea. Thanks for visiting me and for your nice words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS!! Like I said....can I have it? Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Glad to see you here! Like I said....it's yours! Got that frame yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very cute! I love the burlap, love the silhoute. I have not gotten around to trying this yet, I really need to! Thanks for linking up with Scout's Sweet Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Zoe! I love your party...it's always full of fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your silhouette looks great. Great job hand cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Burlap, birdies, and sheet music.... Oh my! Three of my favorite things! Wait... four b/c I love silhouettes! Such a cute project!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the sheet music touch to this picture. The whole bird and music thing just works. Thanks for sharing at Wednesday Whatsits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Danni - that is too cute! I love all the elements, but especially together. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE everything about this project!! I'm a burlap, torn music, and bird fan...lol...so I'm putting this on my "to make" list! Glad to have found you!! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute!! You know I love birdies and burlap! :)

    Emily @52mantels.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I just got my Silhoutte machine (as in the box arrived Friday) and this will be the first craft I make with it! So pretty! I know this might sound stupid, but what is "tacky glue"? I am not familiar with it and it sounds like you use it a lot. Would you mind telling me where you find it? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for linking up to the Tuesday To Do Party at the Blackberry Vine! You are one of this week's List Makers! Feel free to stop by and grab a button...can't wait to see what you'll share this week!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! So creative! I'd like to invite you to share this at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. Hope to see you there!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dana,
    I did some tweaking. Does this one show up as no reply?
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! I LOVE burlap projects, and I love that you used your little piece of burlap for this. I love little birds and the music sheet is such a cute touch!
    Have a great weekend!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West
    p.s. I saw your project linked up at The CSI Project where I'm linked up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trying one more time…Thanks for helping me!!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete