I like a tall floral piece in my living room. Not really big...just tall. So, I made one.
The best thing about this project is that I already had everything I needed to make it. I picked up this terracotta vase from Hobby Lobby for $1.00 last year.
They had a whole rack of them out on the sidewalk. They use them to hold their floral stems in their floral department. Many of them were chipped or crack, but I was able to find two that were in perfect shape. I brought them home and stuck them in my closet where they remained, completely forgotten until last week when I cleaned it out and there they were...still waiting for me to decide what to do with them.
Other than something fall floral, I had no plan. So I did what I always do when I have no plan....I just started pulling a bunch of stuff out of my craft supplies that I thought might work.
Some did, some didn't. I did want to use this little lighted floral branch that I got last year at Big Lots on clearance for half price.
It was kind of sad looking and sparce, as most lighted branches are, so I decided to just build my fall piece around it. I cut some branches and spray painted them with Krylon's Brushed Metallic Champagne Nouveau Satin to make them a little more glamorous.
I added some faux flowers, daisies or lazy susans or some such mix.
I'm not usually a huge fan of faux flowers, but I like them for wreaths and vases because you can take them apart and change them around, which I always do. In this case, I took all of the yellow flowers off and added some extra leaves here and there to fill in.
My terracotta vase was just the right size for it all, but lacked personality. Let's give it some with some mesh ribbon, some colored ribbon, and some funky wiry floral stuff.
What? You don't know what funky, wiry floral stuff is? It's this...
I've had it forever and used it once. I forgot I even had it until I saw my good friend Gail at Purple Hues and Me use it to make this Wired Candle Holder. Isn't it lovely? I'm so making this!
You won't believe how easy it is and you could make it with just about any kind of wire. Go take a look, I'll wait right here.
I also used some acorns to add a little pizazz to the front of my vase, as well as some spanish moss at the base of my branches.
Getting a pic of it for you at night with the little twinkle lights on was easier said than done. This was the best I could do....
Hard to tell from this, but it's just the right amount of twinkly. Makes me happy every time I walk by and look at it on my painted buffet....which also makes me happy.
Go make something lovely that makes you happy! Thank you Gail for the inspiration and for giving me yet another project to do with that funky wire! You're awesome!