Friday, June 13, 2014

Sherry from Thrift My House Guest Post

I can't tell you how excited I am to have the one and only Sherry from Thrift My House guest posting here today while I'm finally unpacking my craft room.  This project is so awesome, it's all the motivation I need to keep moving and get organized!  Take it away Sherry.....

I am so happy to be guest posting here at Silo Hill Farm! Everyone knows that Danni is the Queen of crafts so I am honored to be here sharing one of my latest projects. 
Let's get it started!

I rarely know exactly what I'm going to do when I start a craft project. It starts with an idea and evolves from there.
Recently, I saw these wood things at Lowes.... Contractor Shims.
I thought they were interesting... and cheap. Less than 4 dollars.

 I had no idea that they were wedges.... hence the name, shim...
I got out my glue gun and proceeded to hot glue them together to make even little boards. 42 shims make 21 boards. 

Honestly, I thought, this will take a while, so I got my coffee and glue gun and got comfortable... it took less than 10 minutes and I got interrupted at least 10 times.... so no worries, no big deal.
I put a bead of hot glue down the ends and middle of one board and smashed them together. It went very fast.

Then I played around with them and figured out a shape that would use up all the boards. A pkg of 42 Shims (21 boards after glue)  made a pretty good size board. 
I then hot glued them to a piece of foam board. I cut the foam board slightly smaller than the overall shape of my board. 
It looks like a shutter here. 

I like the rough, rustic feel of this board.

I painted it white and decided to put the words Beach House on it.

I used gray paint for the letters. It needed something else....

So, I added an arrow and then took my sander and distressed it a bit. I love how the words look when they're distressed. 

This was one of the visions I had for the board but my butt was too tired to paint on all those stencils. 

I craft because I get satisfaction when I take a pile of whatever, in this case boards Shims, and come up with something that I like.

It. Is. Therapy. For. Me.

Thank you so much Danni! This was fun. I hope you guys were inspired and thank you so much for reading. I hope you will visit me at Thrift My House. I'd love to visit you!


Thank you Sherry!  You are one amazing crafter!  Being land-locked here in the mid-west, I long for the ocean and love all things beachy!
Sherry does so many projects that are inspiring, you'll be sure to want to go over and follow her so you don't miss any of her awesomeness.  
If you used to follow Sherry before and then somehow lost her, you may not know that she re-started her blog, so you'll need to head over and follow her again at Thrift My House.
 
 



 
 

 

 


29 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Danni! I'm so excited that YOU are getting back in the groove too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to add some texture to a project. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this sign. I may have to make this for my friend who just bought a beach house. It would be a perfect housewarming gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, how cute is this!!! I'll be looking for shims too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! I love it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Sherry! I have a bunch of those shims in my shed right now looking for a new life. As always... you are a great inspiration. Love that you distressed it up a bit. It gives it a great vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like it's been pounded by ocean spray for years on the side of some fabulous rustic beach cabin. What a great result from very basic supplies. I mean - they're sticks! And now they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always have left over shims from other projects. Clever and creative idea to glue them together to make them even. Love the beach sign. Really love the "butt" sign to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dani,
    Sherry is one of the sweetest bloggers. Love her in blogland. Great choice. So happy to have found you too I am a new follower.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sign and I can't believe it's done with shims! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Maybe I can so something similar with the 10,000 pieces of wood in the carport. So glad Sherry is back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh...i just love the idea of using the wood shims for the sign. great summer sign!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Those were made out of shims. That is SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genius, Sherry! I love that the look is of a heavy wood sign, but it's not. I have shims in the cabinet that have been sitting there for years because I only needed a few. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I am usually hunting for shims and can never find them in my stash. Perhaps I'll make a great sign and then I will know where they are! Heading over right now. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful Sherry, I love the butt one as well way too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I give this project a WAGI (What A Great Idea) Love, love, love how simple it is to make and how totally awesome it turned out. Thanks Sherry for the great tutorial and thanks Danni for sharing.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete


  18. Nice Blog having great & valuable information regarding sell home fast.
    buy my house

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sherry put the E in easy on this one. I would have complicated that 10 ways to sundown. Sherry and you must be kindred spirits in that sense, Danni. Hope your craft room is coming along!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Phil would love it if I took his supply of shims and did this.... (insert evil laughter here...)

    Excellent project Sherry!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I admire someone who just let's a project evolve, normally I have to plan things out or I'm afraid it'll go wrong.
    The sign is great, I'm so into lettering, and I love the soft grey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Late - I'm late - for a very important date !!!
    So sorry I missed this when it was posted - what a great project ( my whole house is being held up with shims basically so I have lots of these in supply lol
    Sherry's amazing.............love how this turned out ( and I have a post in drafts on butts so this made me laugh out loud seeing what she originally wanted to put there )
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought it was a shutter, so great fake out Sherry! And yes, always add an arrow, otherwise I would never know what way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute. Really cute! I kindof like the butt version. I guess now you know what a shim is.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey, there Danni! I hope all is well. 'Just stopping by because I miss you! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a great idea, using shims! I'm heading to her site and I'll pin it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is adorable! Figures you were posting while I was on vacation - I wondered why I hadn't seen anything from you recently!

    ReplyDelete