Monday, March 12, 2012

Make Your Own Faux Flowers?

I have spring on the brain!  I'm so ready for it and it's almost here.  I've been working on some spring projects.  Yesterday I was working on a particular one and discovered I didn't have the right flowers for it.  I wanted just a few bright colored ones for a banner I'm working on.  Being Sunday here in a small town in SW Missouri, most things are closed.  I thought, "Well, maybe the Dollar Store will have what I need".  I knew I was pushing it, because what I wanted was some small brightly colored flowers.  Well, I went in and of course, they didn't have them.  What they did have were these:
These were not going to work, but I had no choice.  I was going to have to make them work or give it up til Monday evening.  I decided to see what I could do.    I got out my scissors and my markers and I went to work. 
First, I pulled one of the flowers from the stem and drew a design on it with pencil.
Then, I took a couple of markers and colored my design, cut it out and put the little center stem back in it.  Not bad for a homemade flower......
Now remember, I said I needed some brightly colored ones. I messed around with a few different patterns and colors and here is what I ended up with:
All of the little colored ones started out from one of the big white ones.  This project took all of about 45 minutes and I got exactly the colors, size and shape I needed for my banner.  I sure didn't wake up yesterday morning thinking I was going to be making my own flowers, but at least now I know I can.  I guess necessity really is the mother of invention, and, I was able to get back to work on my banner, which I'll show you next Saturday.
Have a great day and make someone else's great too!

Linking Up:
Pinkapotamus Pink Hippo Party
52 Mantels: Thursdays Are YOUR Days
live.laugh.rowe. - live laugh linky thursday
Beyond the Picket Fence: Under $100 Linky Party
Night Owl Crafting: Hoo's Got Talent?
Thrifty Decorating: Thrifty Thursdays
Fireflies and Jellybeans: Show Off Your Stuff Party
These Peas Taste Funny - Link It Up Thursday
Two Yellow Birds Decor - Thursdays Temptations
School House Scraps - Weekend Wind Up
It's a Hodgepodge Life: It's a Hodgepodge Friday
Happy Hour Projects - Freestyle Friday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo: Anything Goes Linky
The Grant Life - Financial Friday
While He Was Napping: Weekend Wander



Tuesday To Do Party

10 comments:

  1. There you go. Necessity is the mother of invention or "make do" as my mother says. In your case, it turned out well. Very nice. Best wishes, Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. They look great and I think of all the money you saved only having to buy the white and not a rainbow of colors. Thank you for sharing.

    To answer your Q about Social Spark yes I would love for you to use my link. Once you are signed up they will give you a referral link to share with others to, and you can earn a small commission from other bloggers. So far I have not earned any from others. I have had folks sign up through me, but they have to actually post things for me to see any commission. Thanks for asking and reading. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great!! Love this idea! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. great!!

    thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday!
    Can't wait to see what you link up later today!

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors you chose. So simple and you end up with just what you wanted. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl, this is so up my alley! You tied for the most viewed links this week on the Korner! Congrats - you'll be featured tonight! Feel free to grab a featured button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! Thanks so much for linking up at Live Laugh Linky! Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danni, are you coming to the bloggy boot camp here in St. Louis next month?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cute! I can't wait to make some. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I've heard necessity is the mother of invention! They turned out nice!

    ReplyDelete