Friday, March 1, 2013

MY IRISH ROSE WARNING

This may be my last St. Patrick's Day project for this season.  It also may be my favorite.
 Rather vintage looking isn't she?  I guess that's one of the things I love about holiday decor....it gives you a theme that any style can fit into.  Believe it or not, that sweet looking girl in the frame arrived in my mail box as a warning.  That's right, a warning.  A warning from a friend no less.  It came as a beautiful handmade postcard from my friend Donna at Distressed Donna Down Home.
 It was a beautiful card (the image came from The Graphics Fairy) and you wouldn't normally find her frightening, but the warning was that "the St. Pat's are coming" and I should be watching my mailbox.  I don't know what the means....but I'm kind of afraid/excited to check my mailbox every day.  I'm a little bit terrified that she's going to send me some of those creepy "Frozen Charlottes" that she's so fond of.  I mean, with Donna, you never know....she did send me these zombie sheep at Halloween.....
However, I couldn't resist using that pretty postcard in a project, especially since I had a frame that seemed perfect for it.
 Back when I made the Valentines French Toile Frame for the Inspiration Cafe, I also snagged a 4 X 6 frame for the same price.  Such a deal...but it was way too white and shiny for this girl, so I used 3 different colors of craft paint and some antiquing gel to age it until it looked like this.....
 You can see that I cut the girl out of the post card and added a piece of green non-woven fabric paper for a textured background.  (If you don't know what non-woven fabric paper is, you can read about it HERE.  Awesome stuff.)
All I needed now was a little embellishment.  I decided on some vintage buttons.  It's possible that I got carried away with the buttons and may have forgot the lesson that "less is more".   
 I have so much fun every time I open that awesome box of buttons that I can't help myself!  They were a gift from another blogger and if you want, you can read about it HERE.  So the whole time I was working on this project that old song "Wild Irish Rose" was stuck in my head.  I'm not going to post another video song, but I'm finished with this project and the song is what I think of when I look at this girl in the frame.
" Her glances are shy when e'er I pass by
The bower, where my true love grows;
And my one wish has been that some day I may win
The heart of my wild Irish Rose."
 Thank you Donna!

Linking up to any or all of the fine parties listed at the bottom of this page as well as HERE and ...... 

 

 
Visit thecsiproject.com

36 comments:

  1. I hadn't planned on doing anything on St Patrick, but looking at this, you've really inspired me - as usual! And Donna inspired you as well! This is lovely, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really neat picture and frame. Love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Danni I feel my nana smiling at this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting. I thought the warning might be...DO NOT TAKE THIS APART. Is Donna the one that hates when you disassemble your beautiful projects? I can't wait to see what comes from her warning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! The buttons looks like tiny hats which of course goes with the lovely lady in the picture :-) Can not think what she might warn you about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, Danni, the cluster of buttons looks like a flower branch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Danni -you're amazing - I would never think of these things - NEVER - how do you come up with them so OFTEN???
    What a great postcard - you've done Donna proud, most definitely - can't wait to see what arrives in the mail!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the buttons on the corner and I don't think it's too much at all, it looks just right to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's my favorite! (can you reply? I worked on it)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trust me - this will not be your last St. Pat's project! I am blown away at you nailing this Irish lady's style. My favorite is the button detail on the frame. I cannot wait for what is next. AND there will be a next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you really go all out with decorating for the holidays. I'm more of a simple to none kind of decorator when it comes to holidays. Little kids and knick knacks don't work too well in my house. I do like to do fun crafts and stuff with my kids to help celebrate each holiday. Maybe when the youngest one is older I can finally do some crafty decor like yours. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You amaze me! I think this is my favorite, too. It's hard to decide, though. You do come up with such wonderful ideas. All this from a postcard in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, I just fell in love with this blog post. I wish I had a friend like Donna, those zombie sheep are hilarious! And of course your project is beautiful too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that Donna! She's always up to something. I love how you layered the buttons. What a great embellishment.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one is definitely my favourite Danni! Vintage picture, aged wood frame and lots of sweet buttons! Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dannie, I love your beautiful vintage lady and the layered buttons are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my favourite!!! Oh wow look at your frame! Look at those buttons!!! Swoon! I love this project - love love love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What an idea! What a concept!Beautiful vintage picture .. Amazing
    19th green

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous Danni! Love that postcard, and the buttons are a great touch. I know Donna will just love what you've done. Can't wait to see what comes next!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup, that's my favorite, it's the buttons, love the buttons.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  21. She looks great in that frame and the buttons are the perfect finishing touch. I really want to know what you get in your mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How pretty! I like the vintage image, but my favorite part is the buttons. Like you, I love buttons and probably would go crazy with them except I'm so afraid I'll find a better prooject for them. I have a tendency to hoard. You on the other hand are not afraid to use them to make wonderful things. This is a great project. I'll be sure to check back again to see what other crafts you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome, Danni.

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/what-to-do-weekends-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is a shamrock suppose to be an Irish Rose? I always thought it talked about a woman. I love the irish images and think your project is adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love vintage art! Thanks for linking up :)

    Jessica
    myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Danni,

    You always blow me away. This is gorgeous with the buttons but now over done! You're inspiring me for St. Patty's day with this and your laughing cow project!

    I'd love for you to share this at my March Madness Party.

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-madness-party-link-up-begins.html

    Happy Hump Day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Danni, I love this!!! You did a fabulous job. It looks beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing at a Bouquet of Talent.
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is my favorite too. I'm amazed at how you turned that white frame into an aged-barnwood-style. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A lovely way to celebrate a creation from a friend. I love your buttons too!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Danni, this is definitely my favorite project that you did this St. Patty's Day! I just love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How did I miss this lovely lady?! 'Love all those buttons! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete