Sunday, May 13, 2012

BIRD CAGE FUN!

Pin It
O.K.......maybe it's not a bird cage...maybe it's an old lamp shade frame.  I really don't know.  I found it at an antique booth back in February (I think it was $6.) and had to have it because it had so much potential.  Check it out:
Could you pass that up??  Do you know what it is??  If you do...let me know, because I would like to find a few more!
Now if you are a follower of mine, you know I'm on a new color kick.  I l-o-v-e this fuchsia color and am really using it to punch up my summer decor.  I had some scraps leftover from the pillow I made.  (You can check it out here if you missed it.) 
I cut some strips in to 5" X 1 1/2" strips, then using scissors to make a clip in the center, ripped each strip in half for a scrappier look.  I made 8 strips total.
Then I got out my beads....I found this whole strand of various shades of pinks and fuchsia at WalMart for $4.00.  (Could ya go wrong at $4???)  I separated them by color:
And then....because I'm just kind of weird, I had to stop everything and bag them up and arrange them by color shade.  I can't help myself!  Anybody else out there like that?  (No wonder it takes me so long to get a project done!)
Whew!  Now I can see them all and make a better selection for this next part.

I got out my eye pins and strung some beads on them "ombre-style", then bent the top over making a little hook to hang them by.  I made 8 of these:
So, I tied the scrappy strips on to the cage/lampshade/whatever....and then hung these eye pins in between:

Then I made a pretty bow, tied it on top and put these two little birds in it. 
Isn't it fun?!  Now, if you're not like me, you can have this done in under an hour.  If you are somewhat anal.....it will take you that long to sort and bag up the beads!! Either way, it's about a $10.00 project. 
Pin It
I kind of like it hanging (without the birds) on the shelf at my entryway with all of the other fuchsianess I have going on.  Which do you like better?

Linking Up:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
I'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!PhotobucketTuesday To Do PartyA Diamond in the Stuff
The DIY Dreamer
These Peas Taste Funny52 MantelsPhotobucketPhotobucket

21 comments:

  1. I like the birds, but I love it hanging with the rest of the fuschianess, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok - so I love this!!!! Honestly your ideas are fantastic Danni... I'm going to be on the hunt for an old lampshade now.... xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ombre projects!!! Nice idea and great job. Thanks for popping by my blog & leaving such a sweet comment. Following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I like it with the birds, but probably because I just bought a bird today that looks similar to yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty with purple/pink. You're well organised for sorting out the color shades. Not sort of weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Danni!!! I love the version with the birds and the view of the field (getting quite fond of your field :-)). what i especially like is that it is like all the cages we build for ourselves, not really there...
    also love the bow on top!
    hugs to you
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danni,

    How funny, I was thinking I really like the birds, even more than the cage! I think I use the cage for party decor or as cloche.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. An adorable and clever new addition to the happy pink entry shelf! I would have never guessed an old lamp shade...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like and old lamp shade frame to me. You did a good job making it pretty! I like the birds in it. Thanks for visiting Homespun Happenings. I am now your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job transforming that old lamp shade into a delightful bird cage. Love the pink! Visiting you from Kammy's Korner. I'm happy to be now following. :-) Hope you have a wonderful night!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! I found you on Kammy's Korner and I'm now following. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea. It would work weel for a birdcage for a wedding. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it as a bird cage! I'm looking at the original pic of it and trying to decide what it could have been? I love what you did with it! The birds are so cute on it and it's nice that you added some color.

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO PRETTY!!!!!!!!! I have a birdcage... now I know what I can do with it :)

    Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your birdcage turned out adorable! I would love for you to share it over at our Friday Block Party at Curb Alert! open all weekend.
    Hope to see you there!
    Tami @ Curb Alert!
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-block-party-5-feature-from-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sooo adorable! I love it! Love how it looks on your mantel~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bird cage, lamp shade, whatever it is I love it and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It certainly LOOKS like a bird cage! Isn't it so much fun making creative connections like that?!

    <3 Christina
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Wildly Original Round Up linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I like it better hanging in the entry way. it goes so well with all the other lovely things you have there. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete