Saturday, February 23, 2013

THE KERRY DANCE - FRAMING A MEMORY

I love Irish music!  The lively fiddles, the merry flutes and the beautiful words about lovely green glens.  
I'm not Irish, I didn't grow up in an Irish household with my mother singing "Irish Lullabye" all the time.  But there is one Irish song that I do remember my mother singing.  My sister, Jennifer and I would always ask her to sing it because we loved it so.  It is called "Kerry Dance" and I made this frame to remind me of it.
The framed first line of this song is a nice addition to some of my other St. Patrick's Day decor.

 It's a lovely song and really, you should listen to just a minute of it.
 
(If I can get my sister Jennifer to sing it, I'll post that video for you because she has a beautiful voice and I would love for you to hear it.)
The Kerry dance itself is a type of dancing done in county Kerry in Ireland. It is also called "Rince Fada" It is said to be an earlier form of the Virginia Reel, but the Kerry Dance is livelier with more high stepping and fancier footwork.  You can see an example of The Kerry Dance in this video.....

 The song itself is a reminisce of days gone by.  I have heard this song both fast and slow.  Sung quickly, it's a merry dance tune.  When sung slowly, it's more like a beautiful lullabye.  Here are the lyrics, in case you are interested.

 Kerry Dance

Oh, the days of the Kerry dancing
Oh, the ring of the piper's tune
Oh, for one of those hours of gladness
Gone, alas, like our youth, too soon.

When the boys began to gather
In the glen of a summer's night
And the Kerry piper's tuning
Made us long with wild delight!
Oh, to think of it
Oh, to dream of it
Fills my heart with tears!

Was there ever a sweeter Colleen
In the dance than Eily More
Or a prouder lad than Thady
As he boldly took the floor.

Lads and lasses to your places
Up the middle and down again
Ah, the merry hearted laughter
Ringing through the happy glen!
Oh, to think of it
Oh, to dream of it
Fills my heart with tears!

Time goes on, and the happy years are dead
And one by one the merry hearts are fled
Silent now is the wild and lonely glen
Where the bright glad laugh will echo ne'er again
Only dreaming of days gone by in my heart I hear.

Loving voices of old companions
Stealing out of the past once more
And the sound of the dear old music
Soft and sweet as in days of yore.

When the boys began to gather
In the glen of a summer's night
And the Kerry piper's tuning
Made us long with wild delight!
Oh, to think of it
Oh, to dream of it
Fills my heart with tears!

Linking up to any or all of the fine parties listed at the bottom of this page as well as HERE and:


25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Danni - and I remember my grandmother humming that song!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I forgot!!!
    I just love your Irish Framed song ( sorry about that - got caught up with everything else LOL )
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you like St Patrick's Day so much. Your decor is simply beautiful. My maiden name is Irish. Years ago, my uncle wrote a book on our family and he found out that my great,great grandmother was from Ireland. He made a visit there to do research for his book and found that our name,Madden, is like Smith,here. So common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to the song, and I like it. I haven't heard it until now. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your mother and sister! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so special, Danni! I hope you keep this one as it is now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did grow up with a mom who sang and Irish Lullaby and I love the idea of doing the lyrics up in a frame! You are today's inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I'm getting teary, deary!! Thank you so much for this most precious memory! I was recently thinking of another tune mom sang to us that you took such a liking too....that's for another time! Thank you also for being one of my biggest supporters and encouring me to sing...I would be honored to fulfill your request as soon as I can! Never forget, though, it's not that it will be "good", it's just what I love to do! And you're who I love to love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet to have a line of a special song--great idea! The dance is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandparents always had their Irish music playing, your beautiful frame is perfect for your fav song. Record your sister next time :)

    Oh and mums name is Colleen can you get anymore Irish cliche than that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a sweet post, Danni.
    Yes, Jennifer...please do sing for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this! So sweet. The Irish songs my mom taught me probably can't be repeated on my Posts! :) Probably more appropriate for a loud pub! We used to sing them all in the car when I was little and I still know most of the by heart!! I love that you framed the first line....your whole Irish wall looks fabulous!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea, Danni! Thank you for the idea. Also, thank you for visiting my blog and inviting me over here. What a treat!! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danni, for helping me get the no-reply status off! I hope I did it right!! Thanks again!

      Delete
  14. If you are wondering who keeps coming over here, it would be me. I love this song. Thanks for the video of the choir and of the precious dancing girls. I have now watched them more than I care to tell. I hope Jennifer will honor your request - she is as beautiful as you are. My maiden name was Lowery - Scot-Irish - so my ancestors were thrown out of both countries! Oh, yes, framing the first line of the song was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Danni, the framed music is beautiful and it is the PERFECT touch to your St. Patrick's day creations. Thanks for sharing such a lovely post and have a beautiful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh its lovely Danni!!!!One of my very good friends lives in Ireland - I miss her so much, and she has the cutest accent now. xxx Nat

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely idea, framing the first line of a childhood favourite! It looks perfect with the rest of the decor, too. I've never heard this song before, and the choir sang it so beautifully! Loved the dancing, too, especially the view from above. Have a great day.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Irish daddy sang songs all the time, but I can't recall ever hearing of the Kerry Dance. But I can still hear his voice singing When Irish Eyes are Smiling.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful project and beautiful memory. I love that you found something festive for St. Patrick's day but something sentimental as well. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet Danni...I love this post. Such a wonderful share. Pinned :) Love the song...

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty Danni! I love that you make beautiful things using music!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just had a chance to check out your Kerry Dance project. LOVE it!! How nice to keepsake a memory in such a pretty way. I listened to the song and watched the dancers, too. I'm half Irish, but my son's father is all Irish, and my son's grandparents are from County Cork. His grandmother was a champion dancer back in Ireland. I'vw had many a lesson on the Irish jig and have been to many a weddings where the dance floor is filled full with people reeling and jigging and all. There is something about the music that just, well if nothing else, makes you want to drink green beer!! Such a great project and post, Danni, I almost can't wait til next spring :-) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's lovely. What a wonderful way to put a memory on display. Thank you for sharing on the Spring Craft Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is beautiful - something like this would be perfect for my son's piano teacher as a gift! :) #SCBH2015

    ReplyDelete