Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thinking About Starting a Blog?

Jimeny Christmas! Figuring out the whole blogging world thing is such a lovely ride. Creating a blog was a piece of cake. I thought it would be more frustrating, but its such a step-by-step thing and you are prompted so well. I'm still adjusting mine as I go along and see things I like about other people's pages. Shoot, I'm even braving "html" stuff (never had a clue about it before). But...like Pinterest, it's so easy to get lost in the blogging world. I love link parties (a place to post your own favorite crafts, talents, etc.) as well as a place to see everyone elses creativity. They're kind of like a mini Pinterest, but maybe a little more specified (i.e. "Valentine Projects" or "Re purposed Objects" or specific recipes, but I like them because they seem a little more comfortable to me, like I'm in a roomful of people who like a lot of the same kind of stuff I do and aren't afraid to try it out and tell you about it, fails and all!
There's a lot of blog etiquette and I'm still figuring that out too, like if you're posting on a link party, it's very polite to follow the hosts' rules, add the hosts' "button" and comment on other peoples' links. I find most bloggers to be extremely polite, supportive and willing to share. I try to comment on at least 4 different posts on a link party. I know I feel like a million bucks when someone comments on mine! ( Mindie Hilton at Bacon Time was my very first commenter and I was so encouraged. See how I made that live link there, so that when you click on it it takes you immediately to her page? She's very talented and has some fun stuff.) Also, it seems that it's OK to post other people's stuff, as long as you give them credit and put a link back to their post. Seems like the polite thing to do at the very least. If I am wrong about this....some more knowledgeable blogger please correct me!
There are lots of tips and tricks to blogging and guess what?  Yep...people blog about them!  I'm glad they do, I learn a lot from them.  Most bloggers will share information on "how to" with you. 
I'm so new at this.  I started at the beginning of this year.  I have found that I am so inspired by other blogging crafters that I am busy doing something all of the time.  I may not always post what I'm doing, but I do find lots of fun crafts, projects and recipes that I like to try. It's a wonderful way to beat the winter blahs! I also think it helps me to stay on task with some bigger projects like creating my new crafting space.  I feel like if I say it on a blog, I probably better do it. I know that sounds silly, but for me it's true.
I hope I am able to keep up with it all come summer and fall when I am crazy busy with all of my pumpkin patch stuff, but I'll probably blog about that too! 
If you're thinking of starting a blog, I say "Go for it!", you never know where it will take you or who you will meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment