Monday, January 2, 2012

"Bringing" Dinner

On New Years Eve, I had declared Monday as a "Pajama Day".  My plan was to stay in my pajamas all day and watch the "Hell On Wheels" marathon.  I love western movies and this is a western series on AMC that I can't seem to stay up and watch, so I thought I would spend the first day of the new year catching up on it.  (I know, I know....even my husband didn't think this was an ambitious start to the new year. He said, "So let me get this straight...you're beginning the new year by not getting dressed and watching TV all day???")  But, it sounded luxurious to me and that was my plan. Until Sam's phone rang.  As usual, I didn't pay much attention to his call, figuring it was business.  When he got off the phone he said, "Renee and David are coming over this afternoon and they're bringing dinner."  Well, I had some serious mixed feelings about this.  I love Renee and her seldom seen boyfriend, David, BUT...it was my pajama day and it was about to be hijacked. 
A word about my friend Renee here.....
My husband spent weeks with Renee before I ever met her.  He sells real estate and he showed her tons of houses at all hours of the day and night.  I had heard plenty of stories about Renee, all of them good.  She owned a successful soup and sandwich bistro in Milwaukee for years.  Has had a boyfriend for years named David who is never around because he is a crazy busy truck driver with insane hours.  They decided to leave the city and come and live their dream of having a small farm with animals in Missouri. I finally met Renee, after she bought her home and moved here.  She called me at work and wanted to take me to lunch.  She showed up on her Harley!  After spending a few minutes with Renee, you feel like you've known her all of your life.  She's kind, fun, free-spirited, awesome and has a heart of gold!  If she didn't have a job and lived just a little closer, I would love to spend more time with her. But I digress.....
So....company was coming and I was forced to get dressed and pick up my house a little.  Already, more work than I had planned on pajama day.  Then, my humidifier bit the dust and suddenly, I found myself on my way to Lowe's with Sam to get a new one.  I will admit, that I could have just let Sam go and I could have stayed home, but, I consider a humidifier as an appliance and I'm going to have to look at it sitting in my family room all winter.  I felt the need to make sure it was as aesthetically pleasing as a humidifier could be. Now my pajama day has turned into a trip to town. Ughhh. I am seriously feeling sorry for myself.  Waaaahhh. In case you missed it...my husband told me earlier that Renee and David were bringing dinner.  Now, a word about someone bringing dinner....
Only once in my life, has this happened before.  When we lived in Montana, our very awesome friends, Bill and Nyana called one day and said, they were "bringing dinner".  I had never had anyone do this before.  I thought it was a little strange, but hey...I was up for it.  They said I was not to do anything, cook anything nor even set the table.  They were bringing it all, including dishes.  WOW!  They showed up in the early afternoon in a big duo-wheeled pick-up truck with a Tommy-lift on the back.  They unloaded a grill, table, chairs, dishes, food (including homemade pie!), and horseshoes.  They set up a huge sail shade on my lawn.  We played horseshoes, they grilled ribs and put everything else to warm in the oven.  It was amazing!!  One of the best memories I have of Montana!  The food was great!  The company was great! The day outdoors was awesome AND....when we were finished eating, they loaded up everything, including the dirty dishes (wouldn't let me touch them).  I couldn't believe it!  Still can't.  It was all just so wonderful. They are such a great couple! (I hope Nyana will do a guest spot on my blog someday and tell you about what she is doing.)
And now, once again, someone was bringing dinner.
Sure enough, at about 2:30, Renee and the elusive David showed up and began unloading their car.  These two awesome people brought us an ENTIRE turkey dinner.  Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, gravy, turkey, cranberry/orange cake...it was all there and they had cooked all morning...for us!!! I felt so unworthy.  It was such a wonderful feast.  We sat at the table and ate and visited. Getting to know David better was a total bonus! I can see why Renee loves him so much.  He is one of those rare, what-you-see-is-what-you-get interesting persons who make you feel privileged just to know him.  I loved to hear them both talk about living their dream and what it takes to do it. Such a pleasant surprise day!  So much better than a pajama/tv day!! Thank you Renee and David!
I have been twice blessed by someone bringing dinner.  Something way beyond dropping off a casserole or picking up take-out.  These good people, Bill, Nyana, Renee and David, have inspired me to change my blog plan for Mondays.  I think Monday will now be, "Making Promises Monday" and my promise for this Monday is this.....
at least one time this year Sam and I will be bringing dinner to someone.  Lock, stock and barrell.  I hope they will enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed ours!  Maybe it will be YOU we bring it to...you never know.....
Here is a picture of my friend Renee.  She came to my pumpkin patch/haunted maze one night last October dressed as a witch!!! Awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment