Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sweet Valentine Party Mix

Doesn't this look cute and yummy?  I did not invent this recipe, Betty Crocker did.  At least I found it on her website here.  But, I have to admit, I trust Betty for the basics.  You can gussie it up from there.  For instance, although her recipe called for red or pink jimmies, I found that they didn't distribute very well, so I used these cute little pink and red heart shapes instead.  I also used low-fat peanut butter because that's what I had and I couldn't tell the difference.  These are a little bit like "Muddy Buddy's" or "Puppy Chow" but not quite, because you only cover 1/2 the cereal with the powdered sugar.  This appealed to me because I'm not a huge fan of the other.....too messy and maybe a little too sweet for me.  Also, I'm thinking about using Nutella for some of the peanut butter next time.....could that be bad??  Here's Betty's recipe:

Ingredients:
4 1/2 C. Rice Chex cereal
1/2 C. White Vanilla Baking Chips
1/4 C. Peanut Butter
2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
1/3 C. Powdered Sugar
1/4 C. M&M's
2 Tbsp. Jimmies, Sprinkles, etc.

Place cereal in medium bowl.  In small microwavable bowl, microwave vanilla chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.   Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.

Place 1/2 of cereal mixture in 1 gallon food storage plastic bag.  Add powdered sugar.  Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper or foil; cool about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir candies and sprinkles into remaining cereal mixture. Spread on waxed paper or foil; cool about 15 minutes.

In serving bowl, mix both cereal mixtures. Store in airtight container.
Makes 11 servings. (1/2 C. each)

8 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Thanks for stopping by http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ . I have become your latest Follower as well. enJOYing your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by Space 46 and leaving such sweet comment and following! I'd love to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious!! My husband's shop eats puppy chow by the pound so using the low fat peanut butter is a great idea. Thank you for stopping by and commenting and following! Following you back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Does this ever look good! i can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tooo cute! What a good idea to bring to a Valentine's Day party!


    I am co-hosting the Tuesday Time Out Inspiration Link Party this week {my first time as a host!}. I would love if you stopped by my blog and posted some of your amazing projects! Thanks!!

    http://www.measureonce-cuttwice.com/2012/01/co-hosting-tuesday-time-out.html

    xo. Hilary @ www.measureonce-cuttwice.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! thanks for sharing!


    Mrs. Delightful recently posted: My Memories Giveaway @ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love chex mix at our house. A sweet version would be yummy! We might need to make this for V-day. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for link up this sweet mix at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create! I'll be featuring you tonight <3

    ReplyDelete