Thursday, December 6, 2012

SCARIN' MYSELF FOR CHRISTMAS!

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Do one thing every day that scares you."  I like that quote, but I also like a comfortably calm life, so for me, it's more like "do something every now and then that scares you".  This project scares me.  I do not have an eye for floral stuff, but I gave it a whirl today.
 My sainted mother-in-law has a great eye for floral arrangement and I know that she is looking at this. (I hope you're not rolling your eyes Virginia!)  She has a white pitcher that has some berries and leaves in it that she sets out every Christmas.  I have been shamelessly coveting it for years. I found this little pitcher sometime last year and although it's not as ornate as hers, I figured it would do.  But then, I kind of hit a brick wall when it came to filling it.  Now I know I could have asked Virginia for help and she would have gladly given it to me, but I kind of wanted to try it myself.
Here's the thing...I LOVE Christmas floral picks!  A lot!  Maybe too much.  I bought the red berry ones at Hobby Lobby when they were 40% off.  I found the icy looking ones at a floral shop when Sam and I were on Thanksgiving vacation.  They were a steal at 25 cents a piece!  I shoved them all in the pitcher and it just looked like it needed something.  I found some green faux evergreen trimmings in my Christmasness box.  I shoved them in there too.  Then I fiddled around with them until I thought they looked pretty good.  (I'm pretty sure that's just how the florists do it!)  My pitcher still looked too plain so I got some little trimmings and a ribbon and fastened them on with hot glue.  Of course, I added a little gem for some holiday sparkle!  
What do you think?  Here it is on the pallet shelf I made last fall.
 Maybe it's a few too many icy picks, maybe it's not enough green branches, but hey, today I faced my fears and did a floral project!  
Have you done anything lately that scared you? 


Linking up to any or all of the fine parties listed HERE.  As well as...
 countdown to winter 200
 
HookingupwithHoH

31 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! I love the contrast between the red berries, greenery and white pitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can add floral arranging to your list of talents now, Danni. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic, Danni. I think you've done a great job with this project. I agree with Carlene you have a talent for this too. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its too good.. Color combi is creating waves :) Great job Danni

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely, Danni! I, myself am dead scared of arranging flowers.. I would rather pay a florist 10 times the amount. It looks great with the icy ones more, and the red to accent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful! And your pics are so great!! You pulled that scary thing off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it - you did a beautiful job :) And your pictures are stunning! Enjoy your day.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Danni- It's gorgeous! You did a great job! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danni, this is breath taking! Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ice picks. This looks GREAT. And, I love that quote...thanks to you. You are always an inspiration in some way or another. Beautiful job, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not very good with floral arrangements, either. I do have some picks and a white pitcher, so I think I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I keep telling you that you are so creative! Love the crystal effect and no, there aren't too many. You can make a floral arrangement for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, Love it! You are soooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really pretty Danni! I would never guess you were an amateur! I did face my fear and dressed up an old wreath, and an old garland. As soon as I get pics you can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty Danni! Love the ice picks. I think it's so great to try new things... especially things out of our comfort zones. You did a fabulous job!
    Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! I love love love floral picks as well.. Last year my mom and I got up early the day after Christmas and went to Micheal's because all their Christmas florals were 75% off.. I got an entire suitcase full for $25! And now I have so many really pretty things and I can't figure out where to start lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No not too many, that is gorgeous! Your mother in law will be mighty proud of that! So beautiful 25 cents, I want to cry, I never find things like that - but score for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! You did a great job! I would've never guessed you were scared ... looks professional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it looks very festive and Christmas-y. I really like it! I have had a similar addiction to Christmas floral picks this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Danni,

    This is gorgeous! You do lots of things I think are pretty here, but this is my favorite so far! You should definitely do things you fear, because it works for you. I am sorry I have been MIA for so long, trying to recover from Hurricane Sandy, mom s sick again, etc. . . .

    Miss ya,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Danni, that is beautiful! I think it has just the right amount of everything. Crafts scare me, period! I can tackle a piece of furniture, fearlessly, but crafts--I am sure they will be a complete flop. Maybe cause they usually have little bits of this and that, and I am, shall we say, clumsy. And mine never look good, even they were as beautiful as yours, I would not be afraid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had enough coffee. I meant to say "IF they were as beautiful--"

      Delete
  22. Danni, there's no place for you to be so defensive, your winter bouquet is smashing! PS: The white pitcher is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it looks great, in fact I can copy you. Don't let the fear show.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the icy picks! I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This turned out beautifully. I have a very similar pitcher.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks wonderful! I have a small white pitcher that I want to fill with some greenery too, and like you, I'm not much for putting arrangements together either, but you wouldn't know that by looking at this one. I think the ribbon with accents really sets it off too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is really pretty. I featured you as the Dare to Share Feature of the Day.

    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/12/countdown-to-christmas-christmas-floral.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Danni, you did a great job! Your arrangement is gorgeous! It looks like a professional job. You go girl!! Thank you so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent! :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fabulous. Just perfect. and it looks great up against the rustic pallet wood.

    ReplyDelete
  30. SO pretty and I love the little pallet shelf! great for pix, too! ;)

    Thanks so linking up last week at the Humble Brag. Hope you'll come back tomorrow to link up. Also the Silhouette Cameo giveaway ends this weekend!

    ReplyDelete