Monday, October 28, 2013

HOW TO FREEZE PUMPKIN

Now that the Halloween season is almost over, what are you going to do with some of those pumpkins that are scattered throughout your decor?  How about making your own pumpkin puree?  Once you use your own pumpkin puree, you will never want to use that canned pumpkin again.  Promise.
Don't be intimidated....it's as easy as pumpkin pie!
 I got 10 cups of pumpkin puree (the equivalent of 5 cans) out of this one 10lb. Fairytale pumpkin.
I chose a Fairytale pumpkin because it is hands down the sweetest tasting pumpkin out there, but you can use whatever kind you have.
Let's do this!  Grab a bag, a knife or small saw and something to scrape the pumpkin guts out with.
 Cut that pumpkin in half.  I recommend saving the stem for a project I'll tell you about at the end of this post.
Scrape out the guts and throw them in that plastic bag.  If you're a pumpkin seed eater, save your seeds.  I'm not.  Check out the gorgeous bright orange flesh in this Fairytale pumpkin.  (I did not color enhance any of these pictures.)
Bring it in the house, rinse it off, pat it dry and save that stem!
Place the two pumpkin halves cut side down on a foil covered cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  
Bake it at 400 degrees for about an hour and a half (longer if your pumpkin is bigger).  It should be all shiny and the skin will start to wrinkle slightly.
You should be able to stick a fork in it easily.
Let it cool down for about 45 minutes so you can handle it without burning your fingers, then cut each half into quarters and scoop the flesh out with a metal spoon.
(This picture is a little darker because I didn't have my light on over my stove, but that flesh is still as orange as can be...check it out.)
Put all of that flesh in a big bowl and just stand there being proud of yourself for a moment.  Gorgeous right? 
Just so you know why you are doing this...take a spoon and taste your pumpkin at this point.  Roasting your pumpkin this way brings out the natural sugars in it and it is so good!  Just so you know, I do not recommend the method of boiling pumpkin in water to puree it.  Pumpkin is already loaded with water and your puree will be too thin and runny.  (If you do have water in this big bowl of pumpkin, dump it in a colander and let is sit for a few minutes.)
At this point, you are ready to puree your pumpkin.  Some recipes will tell you to use a blender and some say a food processor.  Because I love you...I'm going to show you both.  I started out using my blender.  Just push "puree".
I did the other half with my food processor, which is about 25 years old and still works like a dream, so I just can't replace it with something new and fancier yet.
Both of these methods worked well, but I think I prefer the food processor.  The blender made more of a thin puree which is perfect for soups and recipes where you want to stir in some pumpkin.  The food processor gave me more of an "applesauce" texture, which is what you want for pies and breads.  It probably has something to do with the blades and diameter of the blender and you might be able to control that better by putting less in the blender.  I took a comparison picture for you.
You can see that the blender puree on the right is thinner and ran all the way to the edge of my ziploc bag, whereas the food processor puree on the left is a little thicker.  I made a little "FP" on the lower right corner of the bag of the food processor pumpkin so I'll know which is which when I want to use it.
I froze my puree in 2 Cup portions because that is about what most recipes call for when they say use a can of pumpkin.
I'd say 10 cups of pumpkin puree ought to get me through Thanksgiving, Christmas and the rest of winter!  I'll be sharing some awesome pumpkin recipes that you'll want to try for the upcoming holidays soon, but in the meantime, grab a pumpkin and make your own puree.  You'll be glad you did!
Oh....and that stem I told you to save?  My friend Kirby over at Kirb Apeal shared the easiest tutorial for a non-sewing girl like me and I'm going to use my pumpkin stem and Kirby's tutorial to make some of my Thanksgiving decor.  You can check her project out by clicking HERE.  In fact, I'm going to make 2 of them!  However, you don't really need a pumpkin stem...Kirby used a stick.  Everybody's got a stick, right?
Now...go start eyeing your pumpkins and pick one out to puree.  The baking season is almost upon us.  Speaking of cooking and recipes....don't forget that our Soups and Sandwiches link party is coming up over at the Inspiration Cafe.  Today, my dear friend Mel from Mellywood's Mansion is sharing a bit of Aussie Awesomeness over at the Inspiration Cafe.  Check it out by clicking HERE.

Linking up to....


35 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for sharing this tutorial. :) You definitely will have enough to get through the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only bought one this year. But may pick up some small ones for the boys to decorate. I'll be coming back so I can save that pumpkin and make puree.
    Going to check out the link for the stem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what a lot of work that I won't be doing... Doesn't this stuff come canned?? lol I'm so not a cook!

    Thanks for the post Danni, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of my pumpkins are jack o lantern pumpkins. Thanks for the tip though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your pioneer lady spirit, Danni, I shall put you on a pedestal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tip! Love pumpkin! I just made Pumpkin Caramel cake. Oh...The knife is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gawd. Now I have to go buy a friggin' pumpkin. Thanks a lot Danni.

    ;)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this really does seem easy peasy - even I could do it, right? Thanks for sharing, Danni, and maybe, just maybe, I will go buy some pumpkin to freeze....maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know as we don't have canned pumpkin and I usually buy the ready peeled and cubed to cook in the steamer. But whole pumpkins are a lot cheaper - never thought of baking them :/ Pumpkins here I come !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous. I didn't know this. Thanks tonsf or the instructions. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live today at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because of you Danni, I now have to make a loaf of pumpkin bread. All your fault. husband'll thank you though. but then as I'm eating it, you know I'm going to think...wish I had made this with some fresh made puree, not this canned crap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the detailed tutorial, Danni, I hope you use it well, for another of your delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this!
    Although here we buy the pumpkins cut already, I'd like to freeze the puree I've made

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing that - I really had no idea how to go about getting that pumpkin to look like your puree LOL I may have to attempt it this year as I dearly love pumpkin flavored anything - especially pie - I love it cold for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow... my hubby would love it if I did this. He loves pumpkin anything! Awesome tutorial Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2 cups per can! Now I can make all those pumpkin recipes I see, Honest I never heard of canned pumpkin before Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great tutorial. Very easy to follow and make puree as well. Thank You.
    Never did know what kind of pumpkin to use for something like this.
    Hubby just bought me a food processor the other day and haven't had the opportunity to use.
    Will be going into town today so will picking up several fairytale pumpkins. Very anxious to make this.
    I know I will be making pies, pumpkin bars, cupcakes and of course apple-pumpkin butter
    Wondering tho; how long will this last in the freezer?
    Thanks again for the easy to follow tutorial / instructions. You're the best!
    ColleenB.
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every once in awhile I think I might need a food processor--this is one of those times! I LOVE anything pumpkin, and I bake squash a lot....I wonder who has a food processor on sale right now? And thanks for the shout-out! Those pumpkins are so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Danni, what a great post and thanks for taking us step by step through the process! I really need to snag a couple of pumpkins and do this! Pinning! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What if I have no idea what kind of pumpkin I have.......can I still do it? What if it tastes awful? Is that possible? Is it guaranteed that all pumpkins work for this? Why am i being so annoying? Not enough coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will definitely be freezing my two ginormous pumpkins from this years extraordinary harvest (insert hysterical laughter here) I might be able to get two, maybe three 2 cup bags, but I am pretty sure you will have an amazing recipe for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I learned something new... I didn't know that pumpkins had different names for the different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I can't believe 5 cups came from that one pumpkin. Now that's a great deal when you break it down and compare it to store bought,, which obviously isn't as good. Love this post Danni. Totally Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, that looks not only delicious but easy. I've always been scared to make my own pumpkin puree. You might have convinced me to try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always wondered if pumpkin was sweet or sour or what?? Now I know, not to mention, now I know that you should bake it, too. I would have gone with raw if someone told me to pull together fresh pumpkin. Awesome tutorial, lots of helpful tips for the clueless pumpkin eaters :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do this every year and make all my pies from scratch! The ladies who own my local farmers market always remark how nobody does it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I carved my first pumpkin yesterday, the boss brought two small ones in and asked me to do them for the café. I looked online for the second one because my first attempt wasn't very good. I just haven't lived, have I !!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's such good information. It can be used in so many dishes and will last a long time! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I had no idea it's this easy. I've already bought several cans of pumpkin this fall. Sounds like fresh is better cheaper. You did an excellent tutorial Danni.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never attempted freezing pumpkin before. Thanks for the great tutorial! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  31. Danni, I've always been too lazy to do this with pumpkins, but you've broken it down into a do-able project for me. thanks! Off to check out that pumpkin stem project ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have got a huge pumpkin that I can do this with Danni! Yay - maybe I can finally recreate some of your awesome American pumpkin pie / fall recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well aren't you the Queen of................everything? Never did this in my life - and wow you make everything look so easy Danni!!!
    Off to see Kirby's post :)
    Can't sleep - perfect time to visit everyone
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  34. I planned on making pumpkin puree for the first time this year and didn't know which kind of pumpkin to get. I've got this great tutorial pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Pumpkin is one of my favorite things. We always go to IHOP in the fall so I can enjoy the pumpkin pancakes. Last week I tried a pumpkin milkshake. I think my husband wanted to gag, but I was in pumpkin heaven. Thanks for sharing your pureeing tips.

    ReplyDelete