Monday, September 30, 2013

Five Minute Fall Decorating

I challenged myself this year to do 5 minute fall decorating projects using pretty much what I have around me.  
I love fall, but I needed to keep things simple because as most of you know, my house and farm are up for sale.  This is the first house I've lived in in 20 years that didn't have a mantel.  *sigh*  Hopefully, my next one will have a toasty fireplace with a pretty mantel for me to decorate again.  In the meantime, I'll make do with shelves.
I have 3 lanterns, so I filled them with natural stuff....Bittersweet berries, small white pumpkins and buckeyes from my friend Mary at Sweet Little Bluebird.
I love Bittersweet vine and berries and if I were going full out fall, I'd use a lot more of them.  You can read about Bittersweet that grows wild in Missouri by clicking HERE.  Cutting these vines is one of my favorite fall activities and memories of hunting Bittersweet with my Mother-in-Law are some of my favorites.  Thank you Virginia for teaching me so much about Missouri wildflowers, trees and berries!  
I've had this little glass pumpkin votive candle holder since, I think, 1979.  It was something I bought from a Home Interiors party back when I bought my first house and had very little money.  It was a splurge and I agonized over buying it.  I keep it in the box it came in and still treat it like gold every year when I bring it out and put a pumpkin spice candle in it.  Makes me smile every time.  (So do those little buckeyes in that small glass.)
I found this little cornucopia in the thrift store for a quarter.  It's perfect for a sprig of that wonderful bittersweet.  The tiny dried gourd is from my trip to the Gourd Festival in Arizona with my good friend Judy several years ago.
Oh...and that harvest moon that you see in to the right of my shelf in the first picture is really just a box lid that I loved, so, I hung it up on the wall.  Isn't he fabulous?  (I did not paint it, but I was smart enough to use it as a wall hanging instead of a box lid.)
Most of this fall decor will stick around through Thanksgiving, but some of it will be transformed a little for Halloween.  It's killing me not to go crazy for Halloween, but, I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea for your house to look like a haunted house for potential buyers.  I've been advised to be tasteful and use moderation in my Halloween decor.  Do you think I can do it??
Even though it's about to be full-blown fall here, it's spring-time in New Zealand and my good friend Natalie from NorthShore Days is over at the Inspiration Cafe today sharing a fabulous wrap recipe to kick off our new series "Soups and Sandwiches".  Perfect for fall here.  You can check it out by clicking on the pick below.
We'll be having a link party for sandwiches and/or soups at the end of this series, so if you have a favorite recipe for either or both, you have about a month to make it and post about it.

Linkin up to:
 

36 comments:

  1. Oh Danni, I love the shelf idea! We also do not have a fireplace anymore. For almost 20 years I did and I LOVED (and miss it so) fall/winter fires. And I loved decorating my mantle for each season. The shelf is a great way to add a fall scene. Now where to find a spare wall.
    Yours is decorated just lovely! And that harvest moon is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your decor! and those lanterns are fabulous. Lanterns are yet another obsession of mine ;)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need that moon gig since it looks just like my profile pic which is actually exactly what I look like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful Danni, no mantle here and no shelf, but give it time. 5 minutes to pretty I need you at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You achieved your goal of simple and tasteful...I love all your natural touches.
    We worry about you without your big Halloween Spectacular this year. It's going to be strange for you and more than a little sad, I'd imagine. Bittersweet. Very appropriate, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lanterns filled with fall are my favorites or it may be the moon face. Keeping it simple seems to work. Maybe I won't even drag out the boxes of fall decor still lounging about the attic. I will just use the webs so graciously donated by my house spiders. I am so glad I am not having to keep this house clean for showings. Good luck, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple is nice sometimes! I still love that box lid too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your Fall lanterns, Danni, so pretty yet very cute! Thanks for sharing, friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some really nice stuff, Danni! Well done on your Fall shelf ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the moon. I mean REALLY LOVE it! And I can do some soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't have a mantel here either, but the bookshelves have a lower set built-in to the middle that makes them a great substitute for one!! And no soot. ;)

    Everything looks great. Fall is the perfect time for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danni, I LOVE the harvest moon! It all looks just great! I have to get myself in gear and put my mantel together! :) Thanks for sharing and have a happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great use of what you have Danni!. I love your use of Mother Nature's gifts too! What product came with an awesome lid like that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving your simple decor! I think my favorite are those little white pumpkins in the lantern ... and now you've given me an idea of what to do with a couple of lanterns I grabbed from Target at 70% off! I had no idea where they would go ... just couldn't pass up a fabulous deal! :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. A spider here and there and it's all spooky good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mucho great ideas, Danni - I esp love the filled lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What adorable, sweet and frugal decorations. I love your glass pumpkin and I am REALLY impressed no one has accidentally broken it after all these years. You really must treat it like gold :). I am sure your lovely fall additions will make someone fall immediately in love with your house and the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know...If you needed something to fill things up with, I just emptied a bunch of glass jars. I could have saved all the contents for you.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the type of decorations that are quick ! Your shelf looks great, I love those mini white pumpkins, and your precious glass votive. I don't have a mantle in my living room either, but at Christmas (the only seasonal décor I do) I have another way of creating a mantle !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Danni, I love you quick ideas! My ideas are never quick! I love your shelf mantel. This morning I challenged myself to pull a mantel together in 30 minutes... 12 hours later.... it's not done. I even had to go to MIchaels to pick up SOMETHING that resembled fall. I admit I hate the challenge of decorating a mantel. I will get it done though... I say through gritted teeth :-/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Danni, your make-shift mantel is lovely. What is especially nice is the collection of items that reflect great memories and friends. I love native flowers, so I clicking over now to read about your bittersweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We don't have fall decorations down under not the done thing and we are in spring not fall in fact we don't call autumn fall either

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Harvest Moon! 'So pretty! You have inspired me to get with the Fall decorating! Right now, I have my Arkansas Razorback football wreath on the front door, but am itching to make a new wreath. Maybe a Harvest Moon something? -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything is adorable as usual Danni. I LOVE those lanterns with the natural stuff in them. The white pumpkins are my favorite this year! And I with i could find one of those cornucopias at my thrift store. It's SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bloggy friend, I only wish I could do a 5 minute decoration! It takes me hours just to decide what to put where! Love the black lanterns ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You can come over and do my house :) I love what you did being limited. You always come up with the neatest things!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I wish I could come up with things that quick. Love how you put your faux mantel together. That glass pumpkin votive holder is lovely, and I'm really into the white pumpkins this year. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You fall decor is so pretty!!! I love that bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I need shelves!! I need décor!! I need YOU!!! Just beautiful (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  30. love the "filled" lanterns!! I mean really like it a lot!! We have an electric fireplace with mantel in our bedroom, and I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Next year remind me to leave you a big box and postage so you can ship me some bittersweet. They sell it like it is gold up here. I'm sure it grows somewhere.... It does tend to drop little berries everywhere, which might not be good with a kitten this year. Why didn't you decorate your pallet shelf????

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't believe what you can do in five minutes. Awesome! Hope you sell your place soon. I have a fireplace and mantel but rarely light a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bittersweet is one of my favorite things to decorate with for fall too although it doesn't grow wild here. Your story of your little glass pumpkin is so sweet. I love it, and boy, do I love that box lid. I thought it was one of those fancy fall signs from a boutique shop. You did a fantastic decorating job in five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good Morning Danni, I love seeing how my American friends dress their homes for Autumn as that is something we don't tend to do here in England. The next time we will be decorating our homes will be Christmas time, which incidentally I love and get very excited about.
    I adore your lanterns as they are filled with such lovely natural elements. I have to tell you, that what you call "buckeyes" we call conkers and children love playing with them in the Autumn.
    Danni I have enjoyed my visit and I have become a new follower, your 440th....such a lovely round number.
    I look forward to getting to know you and to reading many more of your posts.
    I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have a moment to spare.
    Best Wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  35. Danni, what a great set of 5 minute decorating ideas! I hope you are able to sell your place quickly! :D

    ReplyDelete