Tuesday, July 29, 2014

FAMILY ROOM

So I realize I have been living in this house for over 2 months and haven't posted a single finished room.  I still have things I want to make for every room, but a couple of them are mostly finished....for now.  This is my family room and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
It started out looking like this.....
Since it was the room we planned on doing the least renovating in, it very quickly turned into the "catch-all" room and everything got thrown in there and it looked like this for months.....
However, if you'll remember, about a week after buying this house last November, I found this sofa and fell in love with it.  I told myself for years, that someday I would have a white sofa and someday was now.
I took that picture in the store and went back the next week and bought it.  It sat in my garage with a blanket over it for 6 months.  Sometimes I just went out there and uncovered it and stared at it.  I planned this whole room around that sofa and while I was painting gallons of primer and paint in that room, I daydreamed about how I wanted it to look.  I wanted a Danish Modern look, but you can see that didn't exactly happen.  My plan changed when sometime back in late March, we took an overnight trip to Grove, Oklahoma and I stumbled on a pair of orange shutters.  I agonized over what color to paint them because I thought the orange was a bit garish.  When my friend Judy came to visit in April, she convinced me to leave them orange and hang them on the ends of the two windows.  Suddenly, orange and white became the colors of my new family room.
That little television is situated perfectly across from my kitchen pass through and I can watch it from the kitchen.  Those windows are so small and so low, I decided not to put any coverings on them.  The room was an add-on at some point and it's kind of funky with it's slanted ceiling and little windows.  We did put replacement windows in, and sadly, replacement windows are even smaller.  The little cabinet on the far left is serving as Sam's bar until I can make something more awesome.
You may recognize the chippy, old armoire in the corner in this picture...
That armoire has a ton of storage in it and is now full of games.  We're big gamers here.  You may remember this armoire from when my friend Karen from Somewhat Quirky Designs came to visit me last year.  I swear I posted about it, but I can't find it. Nor can I find any other picture of it than this before and after.  Karen did a fabulous job painting it with milk paint and I think of her every time I walk into the family room.  Karen also did a wonderful post about painting it and you can check it out HERE.  Thank you Karen!  (Who knew back last June that it would end up being a game cabinet in a family room in a house I had never seen before?!)
We also have a little game table in the family room, thanks to a shipping error by Wayfair.  (I ordered a dining table and they sent me this little table by mistake and told me to just keep it.)
See that little bird mobile above the game table?  Judy made those birds out of fabric and we made them into a mobile when she visited last spring.  They add a splash of bright color and whimsy in an otherwise dull corner.  Thank you Judy!
I think one of the things I enjoy most about this room is the dart board.  We haven't had a dart board since we lived in Montana and I've missed it.  
Our favorite dart games are "301-Double-in, Double-out" and "Minnesota Cricket".  Come on over, I'll teach you how.
A word about the floor in this room....
This is the only floor we did not replace in the entire house.  Partly because it didn't look horrible and partly because I knew that some darts would be sticking in that floor occasionally.  It's single-roll vinyl in a faux wood plank-ish look.  Single roll vinyl means it's just one piece laid out on top of the sub-floor (in this case, concrete).  I don't love it.  Because it's not really fastened down by anything other than the trim, my vacuum cleaner wants to suck it up and it's a pain in the butt.
Those two pictures to the right of the dart board were made for me by Judy.  I love them!  They tie right in with the orange and silver happening in the room.  I'll do a post on those kind of pictures when I get around to it.  They were fun and quick!
I have another room to share with you later this week as well as an awesome recipe.  I think I mentioned that I took on a part-time job again and of course, the work around here never ends.  Right now we are tearing up the back yard and getting ready to put in a patio.  That project keeps changing quicker than a cat can wink an eye.  First it was going to be a hugely intimidating paver patio.  Then we decided on making half of it a covered deck and half of it a patio.  Today we are getting some bids on putting a roof and making it a covered concrete patio, because I like the idea of maybe screening it all in at a later date.  We are still planning on putting in a paver patio just off of it, but maybe a much less intimidating one.  Right now, we're cutting trees and pulling stumps.  AND...because we are terrified that there may come a day when we don't have a project on the horizon...we started tearing up the landscaping in the front...
It's probably going to sit like this until at least next weekend.  Yeah...our neighbors probably hate us.  We have so many projects going on at once and neither the front nor the back look very pretty right now.  It will get worse before it gets better! LOL!
Oh...and one more thing...I was driving down the street in my neighborhood the other day and this was out in someones driveway.  I stopped and asked if it was for sale.  Why yes it was...for $10.  Seriously.  Mel, from Mellywood's Mansion sent me her Thrifting Fairy and next thing I knew, this was in my garage.  Thanks Mel!
I have no idea what it was, but it's a solid piece and it's on wheels.  It needs a roof, but I'm thinking this looks like either a fun bar for the new patio or something awesome for the Golden Child.  It's sitting in my garage, waiting for inspiration to strike.  I'm open to suggestions, in the meantime, it's holding a couple of flower pots and a watering can and waiting for me to make it all "cuted up" as my sister Amber would say.  (One of my other sisters calls me a "craft whore" so really...it could go either way!)
Linking up here:

 

29 comments:

  1. Your family room is so pretty Danni! The floor looks good in photos :-) Love the orange accents, and that sofa!!! And how can I get a free table from Wayfair??? Those chairs are so stinkin cute! I know you have a craft room but this room looks like a fun space to spread out and get some projects done too. Great job girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and that thing you have in your garage... I have no idea what it's for but it's definitely awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danni! Your living room looks amazing. I never would have picked orange BUT now that I have seen it executed so beautiful in your living room, I want to add pops of orange. What a bold and dramatic choice and it paid off for sure. Love that your room not only looks beautiful but it also functional. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Danni! Your family room looks just great. I love the orange accents. We just gave away our dartboard after keeping it under the guest room bed for years. It took us that long to realize that we just didn't have a place for it in this house. We do love to play though. Whatever that thing is it's a great score for $10! I know you'll do something awesome with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your family room Danni! I really love that bold orange rug under your fabulous white sofa. I think you need one like it over by the table to continue the boldness. Sure to add more pattern and pop of color to your room. Oh, did you ask us for advice? lol! The awesome cart find looks like a former tiki bar. It probably had straw grass on the top. And would, like you said, make a wonderful addition on your patio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family room looks so beautiful, Danni. I love the sofa and the rug. That is a great deal for that little tiki bar! You are quite the thrifter. Good luck on the landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danni, it looks so beautiful, The orange looks fabulous and the birds are total awesomeness! I think I am going to look at the roll vinyl you might not be fond of it but it looks good from here. Also how about you try sticking it down with double sided floor tape it wont move after that but is still easy to take up when you want to.

    Score on the extra table and I'm so glad my thrifting fairy godmother arrived on time, make sure she comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh... I LOVE your living room! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh your room looks fabulous! i love that orange. such a fun color. good thing you finished this room first so you can relax in between all the other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orange turned out to be a great choice of accent color, your passthrough thingie turned out to be a great television viewing portal, and if you just stop vacuuming you won't have the problem with the floor pulling up.

    The armoire that Karen and you painted looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What with shutters already painted the right colour, free game tables and friends painting and sewing all the perfect accent pieces, that room was obviously meant to be. It pretty much designed itself and did a darned good job of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the white and orange, Danni ! And I especially like the modern sofa with the shabby chic armoire together !

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your family room! The colors work so well together and the shutters are fabulous, just like you :)

    Enjoy your week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute room. I really like the rug! I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to have a white couch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your family room seems so cozy and happy - just the right feeling for a room that your gang will spend a lot of time in. I LOVE that armoire. I want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love! How pretty is that orange! It's nice it's full of so many memories even though it's new!
    I vote for something outside with the new piece...wouldn't it be cute as a potting hut? or a bar!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's gorgeous!! I luv orange myself - my living room curtains have orange as the main color and my lamps were redone in orange. I luv that armoire!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how light and airy it looks. I also love your birdie mobile.....going to steal that idea. And I love orange. And about your mystery find...looks like a place to store quilts, if you ask me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. your room looks great - I love that armoire!!! and what a great find too! Holy moly. Why don't I find cool stuff like that?!

    Happy renovating!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Danni - your room turned out fabulous - I've been waiting and waiting for the first reveal !!!
    Love that you have a game table in there ( pretty incredible of Wayfair !!! ) and I love that couch and the pops of orange everywhere - Judy's a genius !
    AND that outdoor BAR is fabulous ( it's definitely an outdoor bar - please? )
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good job, Danni! Just think of all the fall colors in that room when it's time to decorate! You'll be in heaven.
    What luck you had finding the cool whatever it is! I never see cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I go off to work and come home to find you have posted a BEE-you-tiful room. Sneaky Danni. Love the sofa and spiffy new rug in this space. You did not post about the wardrobe -I would have remembered it. Quite lovely. Judy was right in adding birds to this room. As for the $10 thingy? Paint it, roll it out to the driveway and sell home tour tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooooh it's gorgeous. I love the orange and white, and that floor does look real, can't believe it's vinyl. You guys have so much still going on, it's nice that you have this room to retreat to, and a dart game to play whenever you feel like it. That new found piece is too cool. There are so many ways to go with it, it's going to be hard to choose which one to do. Congrats on all that you have done so far, Danni!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous finished room! I love your beloved sofa in there, and the orange accents - yummm! That thrifted hut is so cool, I don't know exactly what I'd do with it. It looks kinda potting-shed-ish right now, but can see it as a chic bar.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woo looks good I would love to be able to do some redecorating of my home but can't afford to do so

    ReplyDelete
  26. The family room looks great with the orange--orange is hard to do, and I love it. And I am going to steal that cat can wink an eye thing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the orange and white colour scheme Danni, it's so pretty and I really love the cute bird mobile.
    Can't wait to see what you do with the thing on wheels, patio bar sounds good !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your orange and white room. It looks beautiful Danni. Some great friends sure added some fun to the room with all that beautiful artwork. I am voting for an outdoor bar!! I can't believe with all the work you have that you took on another job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your family room looks great. Love that white sectional. The wooden thing on wheels is pretty amazing and I cannot wait to see what you might do with it. It would make a great bar or even a potting table. Super sweet piece.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete