Monday, March 10, 2014

RENOVATION UPDATE #5 - Fail...and Fun

So....this happened.....
I could doctor this picture and make it clearer, but I can barely stand to look at it that long and it wouldn't make it any better.  Yeah...that is supposed to be a tan-ish color.  Um, no.  It is peach-ish.  It is ugly.  It will be gone today.  Just as soon as I go get another 4 gallons of something else.  To be fair, it wasn't that far off from the sample.  Sometimes it's hard to know what a whole wall of something will look like until you start painting.  On the other hand, I walked in the door and Sam was mixing it up and I stopped in my tracks. Neither of us liked it, and yet, I said, "Let's slap some up on the wall and see if it darkens as it dries."  Ugh.  If I had opened a can at the paint store, I would have instantly changed my mind, thus saving me the trip to town today.  But no....I dropped off my paint list that consisted of, as my friend Kirby would say, "skeighty-eight" gallons of paint for the guy to mix up, and took advantage of the fact that I was in town and went to lunch instead.  I came back by, picked up my paint and went about my business like nothing was wrong, completely unaware that I had this peach disaster sitting amongst the other gallons of paint....until yesterday.  Ugh.  Lesson learned...Open the paint up and look at it!!!
Fortunately, this also happened this weekend.....
I needed a day out.  A day away from renovation madness.  I called my friend Ciree and turns out, she was needing a day out as well.  We are famous for our marathon shopping and lunch excursions.  We've been practicing for twenty-something years.  How could you not love a friend who will try on a silly hat and stick her tongue out at you?
She is also very accommodating when I say, "Ciree, I want to make some word art in this style.  Will you hold this up so I can take a picture of it?"

If there was a sign that said, "no pictures", I ignored it didn't see it.  I made a few purchases and even got something on clearance to do an Easter/Spring project, because I have all kinds of spare time to craft...LOL!  Anyway, it was nice to get out and go somewhere besides the Home Depot or Lowes.  I never find fun stuff to take pictures of in those places.  You'd think for the money I'm giving them these days, they would have a craft aisle just for me.
So...I'm off to the paint store to get new paint today and see if they can re-tint that peachy disaster to some colors I can use in my crafting projects later.  Wednesday, Cheryl will be back for her final installment of "Cheryl Butts In", unless she takes pity on me because I'm so far behind and will do a few more posts.  Thank you all again for making her feel so welcome here!

26 comments:

  1. Ugh I hate it when that happens!!! Now I always buy testers before I buy paint. Then again, I've gotten so used to mixing my own colours that it doesn't matter much if the paint I buy isn't quite right.

    Good luck finding the shade you want. Hope it works out this time!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the retinting today. I always have a hard time looking at such a small sample of paint. I always seem to think it looks a lot different on the wall. It looks like you had a great girls day out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUCK! It appears Hannibal Lecter has slipped into your house and stretched human skin across the wall. How do I know this? I moved into this house with that color on the walls. Adding a drop or two of black may help. Now you will be forever known as the lady who created OOPS paint!

    Glad you got to escape the asylum of home reno for a day of fun and silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciree looks like a blast, you two make a good duo. I have had lots of luck with paint re-tints in the past, I hope that works out well for you. Are you sure peachy is not your color? Imagine how rosy a person's cheeks would appear against that backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paint guy should have put a fingerprint of the color on the top. Maybe you would have seen the pink in it. I guess all painters and renovators have experienced something like this so don't beat yourself up over it. I'm thinking you should have kidnapped your friend Chiree to help paint. In fact, you should have a painting party with beer, wine and maybe even the hard stuff. Can you imagine how that would turn out? Paint all over the place and a whole lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope they can retint this to some other color that you could use

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your paint pain. I think that's the reason I used to paint the whole house white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! My least favorite color -peach! I would've cried! You're a much stronger woman than I. Tan is a hard color to get right. One time I ended up with a pinky purply wall supposedly tan painted wall. I'm glad you took some time to have some fun during the madness. That's a cute sign. Bet you can copy it. I can't believe it's almost time for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheesh, Danni, that is one ugly color ! Hope the re-tinting goes well. I usually have a problem with grey - it NEVER turns out the way I want it to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! What Donna said! Sorry...it's always funny when it's someone else. =D Glad you got in a fun day and ignored those stupid no photo signs. Stupid signs. Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.

    Now go fix your paint.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm...looks like the lovely shade my cupboards used to be...this really awful peachy disaster. Hopefully you find something amazing to do with your oops paint.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one funny looking paint color. You and your friend Ciree look like you have a super time together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh I love the word art awesome stuff and a friend that breaks the rules, everyone needs one of those ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Ciree!! Cute word art, too! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  15. REtint it? What a genius idea, I never thought of that! You will feel much better once the peach is covered. I have had it happen so many times - except my personal bugbear is yellow. Somehow I always end up with pee instead of buttercream. Too much information? Glad you got a day off, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Danni - I have 4 tins of paint here - all different colors - because that's how many it took to get the right shade for the upstairs landing LOL - I'll use it over my lifetime I'm sure.
    Sounds like a fun day :)
    Hang in there - it's going to get worse LMHO!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. hat happened to me too...a color that looked great in the bathroom in the condo, but looked like a naked baby's butt in my kitchen. This is why so many folks never attempt color! Go get skeighty-eight more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gosh, I've had that happen too with the paint! So frustrating!! A little retail therapy always helps me too!~~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Been there done that--too many times. I only buy samples now which are well worth it for me. I presently have a peach-colored garage and my mantle which is supposed to be brown is a sickly greenish color. In retrospect, I wish I had just bit the bullet and gotten different paint for both those jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poor Danni. I think I threw up a little in my mouth :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. But on a happy note, looks like your criminal photo skills made for a fun day! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. A day of shopping and lunch sounds like the perfect antidote to a peachy paint dilemma. It's so hard to judge how a whole wall or room will look, from just a sample isn't it, we've all been there !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Danni! I feel your pain with your paint. I have such a hard time choosing paint based on small samples. I've taken to buying the $3 pint of paint and then investing int he bigger cans.

    Glad you got a day out with a friend. It's always nice to take a break...and even nicer when you can take it with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it was meant to be, the peach paint, just so you take an afternoon off and do lunch and shopping with your gal pal! Once I picked a red/ yellow combo for my living room, yeah, ketchup and mustard was on my walls before I could say boo! Had to go buy more, but somehow, I didn't get a day of lunch and shopping out of it??? Oh well, maybe on my next color choice faux pas. Can't wait to see your new re-mixed color!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my dear Hobby Lobby can cure what ails anyone! So let me get this straight...you're going to have 4 gallons of one color of paint to use for crafting? That's a lot of crafting! Wonder if each gallon can be turned a different color? Good luck picking the new color.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know that feeling! But I got it after the main bathroom was completely painted...the lovely pale yellow turned a sickly limey yellow on our walls. And Larry keeps saying he just paid to have the bathroom painted (2-3 years ago?) and won't redo it...we'll see. I'll keep bugging him.
    Good to see you took some 'me' time! I'll bet it did you a world of good.
    I'm going to miss Cheryl's writing if she doesn't start a blog!! Keep at her!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete