Tuesday, January 7, 2014

RENOVATION NATION

Well it's been about a month since I told you we bought a house.  I also told you we were going to do some major renovating.  I also told you that I was having company from England during the month, and oh yes...because life isn't crazy enough, let's throw Christmas into the mix!  
My husband is a very wise man and because he knew that things were going to get crazy, he hired a couple of awesome guys to start in the bathroom. (Merry Christmas to me!) We are not plumbers.  We are not carpenters.  We are not sheet rockers. I am no "Anne" from Design Dreams By Anne, although she is my DIY idol.  The #1 rule of renovation is to know your limitations.  Check.
So....here is what the main bathroom looked like when we bought the house.
Pretty basic.  Long ugly sink/vanity with a toilet/tub/shower behind a second door...or as some people say, water closet.
First, let me just say, this bathroom project is actually 2 projects because we are also adding a master bath on the other side of this one, which means...the walls come tumbling down and everything gets reconfigured.  Everything.
This was my vision for this bathroom....
Gorgeous, right?  Well, dreams die hard in renovation projects.  Oh yes, they do.  The first thing I lost was the window.  Turns out, because we are also making a master bath, there was going to need to be a wall right in the middle of this window.  Now you might think I could just move that window, but no.  You can see that window in this picture.  It's in that little alcove on the left side of the picture, just above the A/C unit.  The alcove was created when the two additions were added, so there is no place to move the window. 
I also lost quite a bit of space in the main bathroom to make some walls for the master bath behind it.  So, here are some ugly demo pictures, but stay tuned because at the end, I'll show you a few things I did buy so that I could still get the look I wanted.
This is where the bath/shower was and you can see that two walls are now gone.  Missing are the walls between the vanity and the tub (that whole water closet thing, really) and the wall behind the tub.  That gaping hole was the back side of a really long hall closet as well as a double wide closet in the master bedroom that were both torn out to make room for the master bath.
This is the other side of the water closet wall demo.
The long, ugly single sink vanity and massive mirror...gone.
So what is done in there now?  Well...new walls for the main bath and the master are framed out and re-plumbed.
Most exciting of all for me, my new bath tub!  Oh yes!  It's a deep one...18 1/2".  I did not want a jetted tub...I'm way too much of a germophobe for that.  However, I have been missing my deep claw-foot tub from our cabin in Montana and this tub/shower combo will make up for it.
Also, the shower base in the master bathroom has been installed...
I had to explain to Sam why women want a seat in a shower.  Duh!  You can see in this picture that the tub in the main bathroom and the shower in the master bathroom are almost back to back.  I'm definitely saving a little money by having the bathrooms configured this way and trust me...anywhere you can save money on a renovation project, you'll need to, because...the kitchen is coming up next.  So....what part of my dream bathroom did I get to keep?
Wellllllll.....I got to keep 2 separate sinks, although I had to have a little storage below them to make up for some space I lost.  (Just so you know, I am not a lover of vanity tops.) I also found a cute cabinet to put between the two sinks.  I made a collage, so you get the idea....
It's not to scale, the cabinet is actually just a little lower than the two sinks.  I also have 2 built in medicine cabinets above each sink with some lovely sconces for each.  I will have white tile in the shower and on the floors.  My fixtures are brushed nickel.  My walls will be white and my ceiling will be the beautiful blue in the picture.  Also...a new potty.  Yay!  Let's just look at that dream picture again, because although the configuration is a little different and I lost that glorious window, I didn't have to compromise too much.
The two gentlemen, Mike and Mark, who are doing all of the work in here are a little shy about having their picture made, but I'll catch them yet!  They are awesome workers and have spent a lot of time under the house redoing all of the plumbing.  I love them.  
So what is my part in all of this?  Well...it seems that my job is to run to Lowes or Home Depot as soon as it snows or an ice storm comes and pick up whatever is needed the next day.  I swear, it's true.  All those guys have to say is, "We'll need_____ tomorrow" and sure enough, we're either going to have ice or snow, but, I cannot tell a lie, shopping for these two bathrooms has been kind of fun and I haven't even gotten to the accessories yet!
Now, lest you think that I have done nothing in this reno yet, stay tuned, because in my next post, I'll be showing you the kitchen and some of my own demolition skills!
The move-in goal is still the end of February and at this point I think we'll make it.  Not that the weather is cooperating.  No, that would be way to much to ask.  I woke up to frozen water pipes this morning.  Arghhhhh.  But, I have a warm fire in the stove and hot coffee in my cup and the temps are supposed to rise above freezing today.  Ahhhhh!

31 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the final pictures, Danni! It's always fun to look at the before and then the glorious AFTER. We added a master bedroom over our garage at our old house years ago and converted our old bedroom into a master bathroom so I know a bit about what you're going through. The whole side of our house was exposed during Thanksgiving with only plastic covering the opening. Don't ever want to go through anything like that again. You didn't mention how you fared with having friends visiting. Knowing you, I'm sure it was an adventure. And, oh, this whole renovation of your new home is an adventure . . . one, I know you're happy to take! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of your inspiration bathroom Danni. We totally redid our upstairs bath a few years ago in light blue and white and I still love it. Can't wait to see the complete after. Kitchen renos are my favourite, but I've never done one myself (we still have the 1930's kitchen cupboards here) so I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with yours. Demo can be such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your inspiration shots and the details you've shown - what about an interior wall window? You could glaze it so you have privacy and still let daylight in from another space. Or maybe a french door to the room instead of a solid one. I'm a huge fan of interior windows ;)

    Thanks for the shout out! You're the best!!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. "know your limitations"... My good guy plumber yelled at me for getting a little overinvolved in the plumbing processes before I call him. He threatened to charge me more if I don't stop it. (He is much better at plumbing than I am.)

    I love the inspiration look. And your collage really helped me get the picture.

    (I think there may be a yoga pose that you could feature as a blog post that would allow a woman to shave her legs in the shower without a seat...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even with your compromises, I think you are going to have a dreamy bathroom. It's going to look so classic, bright and airy. I can't wait to see more. Thanks for the update. I hope the weather starts to cooperate and you are able to show us more progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, oh my, oh my! It may be a mess now, but it's going to look so amazing when everything is done :) I can't WAIT to see. Have fun and take care, sweet Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you lost your pretty window, Danni. The baths will be beautiful and so clean looking! I love your inspiration photos.
    I cannot commit to the whole "know your limitations" thing though! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the sound of a wall coming down! It's even better when some other person is doing the heavy work. Somehow, in all the excitement, I forget how much I hate the clean up work. That's a big project to tackle first and you are well on your way to checking that one off your list. Can't wait for 'afters'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much excitement! Adding a master bath? Whooohoooo for you! Looks like stuff is really beautifully on track. I agree, those inpiration pics are so charming and chic. Fingers crossed that your pipes unfreeze and your schedule stays kinda sorta on schedule. You're gonna make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are making me want to renovate! LOL, it will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to be splendid! Love the blue ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This bathroom is going to be fantastic!! I can't wait to see it and I know you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very jealous, I love the idea of double sinks. I also love the idea of shopping for stuff, how exciting, even if you have to do it in the snow.
    Thanks for sharing the renovations, can't wait to see more !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am loving the look of your new bathrooms! How exciting to see it coming together! Congrats! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds terribly exciting. I cannot wait to see the baths finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! Danni, it's going to be gorgeous! I'm glad you're having fun even with the frigid weather. I love the huge tub. I can't wait to see you're kitchen and the rest of the house. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't renovations the most exciting thing in the world? Your loosing a window but gaining another bathroom, sounds like a deal! Having a couple of handy guys is probably helping keep the stress down and watching it all come together is magical. I'm so happy for you Danni, and I can't wait to see your bathrooms when they're done. Not to mention seeing you in action on your kitchen. Staying tuned in - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sure is an ambitious reno, but it is going to look amazing when finished! I love your dream picture and can't wait to see yours completed. Stay safe driving in the winter weather we all seem to be having this year...brings back memories of childhood years when it was like this every year.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Things are looking promising for you. It's so nice to have good help, even the camera shy ones!! We are not in the best of weather here either! Although we have warmed up to -12C which translates to 10F so I can't complain! Stay warm Danni. Loved the update!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's gonna be all sparkly and new. Just the place to park your cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can totally move in. If your toilet isn't installed yet, just pee in the tub and wash it down the drain.

    Just kidding.

    I'm sorry about losing your window. Hey! Put in a skylight! There. I just fixed everything. It's so easy from over here! Can't wait to see your bathroom and the new work on the kitchen. :)

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing what you're up to. Loved your collage. Love love love a deep bath. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Danni it's going to be so nice, know your limitations..a lesson I need to learn lol

    Ill be waiting or pics of cute toadies now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness, I would be going crazy. I had the chance to live in my house while the only two bathrooms were ripped apart to repair a plumbing disaster. Wished I had thought of the sit down shower and the small double sinks. Love the idea of a blue ceiling - may steal that for my bedroom or kitchen. Can't wait to see what else you can do, Ms. Reno Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it's going to turn out wonderful!! You and Suzan (Simply Vintageous) are going to have a lot to chat about!! :) Wishing you continued GL and hurrah for Christmas plumbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Danni, Wow, your new house is going to look so fantastic! I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to see your kitchen pics. I absolutely LOVE the blue in the bathroom. I also like brushed nickel for fixtures. It's a shame you will lose your window idea but maybe you can put a "coke bottle glass" window somewhere else:) Not sure that's what's actually in the inspiration photo, but it looks like it.
    Keep on keeping on, girl!!! Thanks for sharing:) Di

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your old bathroom looks fine, but I must agree with you that it was lacking something. The neutral color scheme was supposed to make it look cozy, but it just brought on a lonely ambiance. Anyway, I can hardly wait to see the final result!

    Homer @PinnacleRenovations.ca

    ReplyDelete
  29. New Year, new bathroom – that’s very exciting. It’s a wise move that you hired skilled workers to help you on this big project because renovation can really be very overwhelming. And regarding your window problem, it’s quite disappointing that there wasn't enough space to have it. But have you considered a skylight? It’s as good as a window.

    Joann @ AJCRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Danni, you have some great plans for your new home! I can't wait to see all the final pictures....I need some inspiration for m home! :)

    ReplyDelete